- Beginning at 6:00 PM on Fridays and continuing through the morning of the trip, there will be a message on our information line (916) 456-0263 extension #9. This recording will tell you the trip destination, the expected weather, and whether the trip is going or not. If a trip is postponed it is rescheduled to the next available make up date.
- It is important you call before each trip, regardless of the weather, to check for any last minute changes, including bus departure location and time changes!
- During changeable weather conditions the final “go/no go” decision may not be made until 3:00 AM. A trip can be postponed at any time but once a trip is announced as postponed, that decision will not be changed.
- Every effort is made to ensure that we make the “right” decision of whether a trip should go or not. Your safety and enjoyment are most important. Some of the best ski and board conditions occur during inclement weather, so be aware that trips may go even when it is snowing or chains are required.
- Keep in mind that weather in the Sierra is quite changeable and can occasionally take a turn for the worse. Unless it becomes unsafe, once a trip is committed, we continue to the resort. Members who are properly dressed can have a great day in even the worst of conditions. If you have not skied in snowy weather, go with the supervisors. They will show you how to enjoy the beauty and exhilaration of skiing in fresh snow.
- During inclement weather, chain control and traffic can delay our arrival and/or return home from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours. This can shorten our time at the resort.
- There are three to four supervisors on each bus. Supervisors are easily recognized by their red jackets. They are there for you! Please let them know if you have any questions, a problem, or need someone to ski with.
- Group tours for levels 5 and up are given by the supervisors and take place shortly after we arrive at the resort. This is a fun way to explore each resort, get tips on how to improve your technique, and meet others who ski at your level.
- During the day you can find supervisors skiing on the hill, with classes or with members.
SKI EQUIPMENT * CLOTHING * RENTALS
- Since many skis, boots and poles look alike, especially rental gear; make sure that you have your gear when unloading the bus. Carefully mark all your equipment. Use masking tape with your name on it for rental equipment.
- Use ski bags or straps to keep your skis and poles together on the bus.
- The bus companies do not allow the wearing of ski boots on the bus ("Cat Tracks" on ski boots and soft soled snowboard boots without metal plates are OK). For the trip up, boots should be stowed inside the bus under your seat. They may not be worn in the bus and are stowed in the baggage compartment for the return trip.
- Be prepared to ski in any weather condition and dress appropriately. Use the equipment checklist as a guide.
- If you plan to rent, do so at one of our recommended shops here in town. Mark all your rental gear with your name in masking tape.
- We maintain a lost & found, so if you lose something call us immediately.
TRAVELING TO AND FROM THE RESORT
- The trip up and back can be as much fun as the skiing. Here are some things to help you enjoy the ride and keep you safe.
- When loading the bus in the morning put your skis/snowboard equipment in the baggage bin opened for your stop. Bring your boots on board (they may freeze if left in the baggage bin). There is storage under your seat and in overhead racks. Neither is spacious so be a good traveler and bring only the essentials.
- Our buses are usually full so you will often get to sit with another fun Alpine Adventure member.
- There is a bathroom on board for your convenience. Enroute to the resort it gets a lot of use, so please use it for that purpose and not as a dressing room.
- While the bus is in motion please remain seated. This allows the supervisors to do their job safely and efficiently. You may find the results quite unpleasant if you are out of your seat and the driver has to suddenly slow or make an emergency maneuver.
- Please limit the use of personal fragrances. The close quarters of the bus intensify their effect.
- You may bring a videotape/DVD to play on the return trip. Only G or PG rated movies are allowed. The supervisors have the final say whether a movie will be played. If there is any disagreement with the supervisors, the video privilege will be discontinued. Be aware that not all the buses are video equipped.
ON THE BUS
- Each morning prior to our arrival at the resort, the supervisors on your bus will read the daily announcements. This will give you important information about that day’s trip, our departure time, and where the supervisors will be located. It is your responsibility to understand all the information in the announcements.
- Lift tickets will be given out on the bus shortly after your arrival at the resort. Make sure that you have received the proper ticket and know how to put it on. A child using a Teen ticket will be charged $50. If you are using a Season Pass you must notify the supervisor on the bus or you will not receive the appropriate credit.
- You may only be on the bus when a supervisor is present.
AT THE RESORT
- Put your ski boots on outside the bus. You can walk off the bus in your street shoes, put your boots on outside, and store them under the bus during the day. At no time are you to walk on the bus in ski boots. Snowboard boots without the clicker system, or ski boots with cat tracks can be worn in the bus.
- Lock your skis or boards up every time you stop for a break. Use the ski check at the lodge, a ski locker, or your own board or ski lock.
- If you have any problems during the day (such as getting separated from your buddy or you need to get in contact with the supervisors) - go to the Information Center or to first aid. Tell them that you are with Alpine Juniors & Snowdrifters and they will get in contact with us.
LESSONS AND SKILL ASSESSMENT
- All members, whether taking lessons or not, will report to the ski school meeting area on the first trip for a skill assessment. Members not registered for instruction will be evaluated first. Any member not registered for instruction who performs below a level 5 will be assigned to an appropriate class and the class fee will be billed to their account.
- Class assignments are made on the first trip. Assignments are made according to your ability and age. We always try to place friends of the same ability in the same class. Please let the supervisors know who your friends are! Classes are intended to be fun and informative. If you are not satisfied with your class for any reason, or you would like to change to a different class, please inform your supervisor so we can help you.
- Skill improvement classes (lessons) start upon our arrival at the resort in the morning.
- Lunches are available in the resort cafeterias. You may bring a sack lunch if you prefer. While it is OK to eat on the bus enroute to and from the resort, the bus is not to be used as a "lunchroom" at the area.
ON THE WAY HOME
- The time to be back to the bus is emphasized during the morning bus announcements. It is your responsibility to know when to return to the bus. Allow plenty of time to pick up your things, AND get to the bus. If you are late to the bus, you will be assessed a $50 fine!
- During inclement weather, chain control and traffic can delay our arrival and/or return home from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours. This will shorten the time at the resort.
- We are usually on time in returning to the departure points in the evening. Parents please be on time to pick up your children. Phones are available in case your children need to call. The buses can be delayed by several factors (weather, traffic, and members not returning to the bus on time). If the bus will be more than one half-hour late, we will try to get a message on our club information line (916) 456-0263 Ext. 8. It is recommended to call this message before leaving home to pick up your child. Parents who have not picked up their children within 30 minutes of our return will be charged $10.00 plus $1.00 per minute for any time after the first 30 minutes.